The Masonic Hall
Queen's College Taunton Lodge No. 6988
Regular meetings: the third Saturday at 16.00hrs Jan,
also the second Saturday at 16.00hrs May, Oct.
Installation meeting: the third Saturday at 16.00hrs Mar.
Contact the Lodge Secretary: David Sargison
College, Taunton Lodge No. 6988 was consecrated on 8th July 1950 and
came into being as a result of the enthusiasm of a number of English
and Welsh Old Boys of the School who were Masons. The Lodge was
sponsored by the Lodge of Unanimity & Sincerity No. 261, meeting in
The Consecration Ceremony was carried out by the Provincial Grand Master for Somerset, Brigadier General C. Lumsden Norman D.S.O. and took place in the Masonic Hall in Taunton. The first Master was Dr. E. L. Bunting, the Deputy Provincial Grand Master for Worcestershire. The Founders established that the Lodge should work the Oxford ritual and that the Installation Ceremony should be an extended working. This has been adapted over the years to produce our own unique "Queen's Working".
After three or four years of meeting at the Masonic Hall, Taunton, it was suggested that the Lodge might meet at the School. This was agreed with the then Headmaster, Bro. Sidney J. Haynes, (who himself was initiated into the Lodge in July 1957 and received Provincial Honours in 2002). The Lodge met at the School from 1955 until 2002 when it reverted to holding its meetings at the Masonic Hall in Taunton.
The Lodge has been privileged over the years to have had many eminent Brethren from Somerset and other Provinces as members. It has had four Provincial and District Grand Masters as members, the late Dr. E. L. Bunting, PGM for Worcestershire, the late Sir Arthur Reed, PGM for Devon, the late J. H. Vivian, District Grand Master of Transvaal and the late Kenneth C. Kinnersley, PGM for Somerset, 1981-1990.
The Lodge is a member of the Federation of School Lodges and has hosted the Annual Festival of the Federation on two occasions, in 1967 and 2000. The Lodge celebrated its Silver Jubilee Meeting on 12th July 1975 and its Golden Jubilee Meeting on 8th July 2000 - 50 years to the day after the consecration of the Lodge. The Diamond Jubilee Anniversary was celebrated by a lunch at the School on 3rd July 2010.
The Installation Meeting of the Lodge is held in March each year and the Ladies Festival usually follows the October meeting. At the latter event, the Lodge supports a local charity or institution through its fund-raising efforts. The Lodge has had 11 home-grown Lewis's in its history.
The Lodge, which currently has nearly 60 members who are former pupils, their direct relatives, members of staff, Governors or other friends of the School, greatly welcomes enquiries from old boys who might consider becoming a member of their School Lodge or who, with other Masons from Somerset or elsewhere, might like to visit us from time to time.
| For any website related issues, please email the webeditor.
The Provincial Grand Lodge of Somerset cannot be responsible for the
appearance or content of external websites linked. This site has been approved by the
United Grand Lodge of England. © Provincial Grand Lodge of Somerset.